Saturday 12 November 2016

Research - What Do Visually Impaired People See?

In order to know more about how do the visually impaired people feel in daily lives, such as how does it look like when I lost my sight, I am going to do some research on it. Now I will show my research and my feedback on it.
 
Source 1
When we try to imagine how does it look like to be blind, we will use our 'imagination' to guess what it might be. As we have the concept of different colours and scenes in our minds, we might think that blind people are experiencing darkness. The article from NAUTILUS (source 1) points out that visually impaired people actually have no concept of black. "The blind, too, use their senses such as hearing and touch, to form representations of the world", meaning they are more sensitive to other senses.

Another article from BBC News interviewed Damon Rose, a BBC journalist, who completely lost his sight as a child. He lost his sight due to an ill-advised surgery. He is diagnosed as no light perception. "Though I've had the cord cut between my eyes and my brain, it seems that the world has not turned black." he said, "The rest of my field of vision is taken up by squashed geometric shapes, squiggles and clouds I couldn't hope to describe - and not before they all change again anyway. Give it an hour, and it'll all be different." For him, what he sees is not dark, but light. Even he closed his eyes, the lights never go away.


Source 2 (From the description of Damon Rose)
Whatever the visually impaired people see, they are not able to receive an entire image from sight. They have to rely on other senses like touch and hearing, so it is important for me to think about the textiles I may use for the major project.

Source 1: What Do Blind People Actually See? 
Source 2: Do Blind People Really Experience Completely Darkness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Show: In-class Activity (Watercolour)

I told Tom about the idea I have been explaining in last post, he encouraged me to present it to the whole team. They like my idea, and we ...